Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Micah 7:18-19

" Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives our transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us, you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea." - Micah 7:18-19

I have passed the 32 week point in this pregnancy, which was the point at which Olivia was born. Although it's been a relief it is still a day to day worry and fear that I strive to let God take from me.
Lately, I have been hearing a lot of those stupid type of comments that I faced a year ago. For example, someone saying to Cole "Oh you're going to be a big brother?! Are you excited?" It takes restraint on my part to say something smart back.
I've heard while being approached by someone who fully knows of my loss "Oh, hi mommy-to-be for the second time...".
The most obnoxious comment I have received was from a nurse in the hospital when I went in to be monitored. While asking my obstetrical history she interrupts and says "Oh well you just have no luck huh?" This was before she even hooked me up to the monitor to be sure I wasn't the bearer of more "bad luck". Oh, and most recently, a nurse in my OB office saying "Why are we seeing you so often, do you have diabetes?"
To all of these comments I want to say; Cole is a big brother, he has been since we were expecting Olivia. Nathaniel is #3 and we plan to raise Cole as the big brother of Olivia and him.
I am a mommy-to-be for the third time. I did deliver a real baby last April, it wasn't pretend, believe me!
To that nurse and many of the other medical professionals I have come into contact with, WOW! I'm ashamed and disgusted. Have compassion and a filter on your mouth's might be nice. To those who are medical professionals that work with pregnant women, seek some training with how to speak to those who have had pregnancy/infant loss. It's not an easy path to navigate through, and I can assure you your comments hit hard when spoken with no regard for our sensitive needs and emotions. If we are attempting pregnancy again, we are stressed and emotionally fragile and don't need comments that add to our fear. Oh and read your patient's charts before you meet with them. As a nurse, I would never meet a patient before I knew generally what their history was. It makes you look dumb.
Although this sounds like a rant against people and their stupid comments, it is more me venting as I have not spoken up when I've heard the comments in person. I am in a more forgiving place than I was last year, hearing others' advice or words of comfort. This should serve as education to those who have no clue what it's like to lose a child. You can try to imagine it, but you won't ever be able to comprehend it until it happens to you. Choose your words carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment