Thursday, January 31, 2013

1 Timothy 2:9-10

I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,  but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God."  1 Timothy 2:9-10

My blessing and lesson for today from God:
While shopping for new shoes for Cole, I ran into another baby loss mom whom I met in the last 9 months. I was so relieved and happy to see her, as she now has a 5 month old baby boy, whom happened to be her 3rd child, 2nd living son. She too lost a baby girl not very long ago. After chatting for a few minutes, we both went about our shoe shopping. We happened to meet back at the check out.  While in line we both kind of understandingly commented on the boring selection for boys and how it's not fun seeing all the cute, sparkly girl shoes. Although it truly does hurt and make you want to feel bad for yourself, it was a blessing in its own way, to have someone right there, at that moment, when you had those thoughts, who could just comprehend and feel how you were feeling.

My initial thoughts were that I want to make an effort to encourage moms who have little girls to make sure to buy their daughter's girly, frilly things and to treat them like the princesses' they are. As I thought more about it, I was led to the above verse along with Proverbs 31:30 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." The world we live in draws us to think girls, young women, older women should and need to be adorned in the finest "things", including make-up, clothes, shoes, jewelry and other accessories. However God tells us in His Word the way in which he wants a woman to dress and behave and it is far from the world's view.
So, after my pity party for myself and missing out on the opportunity to dress my little Olivia in cute clothes and shoes, I am now hoping to encourage mom's of daughter's, whether they are little or older, to lead your daughter's in the way that God desires them to be- modest, and God fearing (with a little sparkle and glitter to be a shining light for God)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, What a wonderful testimony to the loving care of our father. He knew just what you needed and provided it for you. Your faith and courage are such a blessing and an encouragement to all of us, even if we don't or won't ever have a "little Olivia".
    Jean

    ReplyDelete